-Prep Time: 35min
-Cook Time: 35min
-Ready In: 1 Hr 10 Min
- 12 corn tortillas
- vegetable oil for pan-frying
- 3 cooked boneless, skinless, chicken breast halves, shredded
- 10 ounces shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 3/4 cup minced onion
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 ounces of roasted, cleaned and chopped fresh New Mexico green chiles
- 2 ounces shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C ).
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Fry tortillas (one at a time) for 5 seconds on each side to soften and make them pliable. Add more oil to pan as needed. Drain between layers of paper towel to keep warm.
- Divide chicken, 10 ounces of Monterey Jack cheese, and onion among the 12 tortillas. Roll up each tortilla and place seam side down in a greased baking pan.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk until mixture begins to boil. Slowly add the broth, stirring with a whisk until thickened. Mix in the sour cream and chiles, heat thoroughly but do not boil, stirring occasionally. Pour mixture over the enchiladas.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until heated through. Top with remaining Monterey Jack cheese and bake for 5 more minutes. Garnish with chopped green onions and cilantro.