Many have asked us for an authentic New Mexico Red Chile Sauce Recipe using our red chile powder. So we sat down in the Diaz Farms Kitchen & came up with this hot recipe.
MAKES TWO CUPS OF RED CHILE SAUCE
- Red Enchiladas
- Chile Con Carne
- Chile Beans
- 1/2 cup red chile powder
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 3 to 4 tsp onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled & finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp flour
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 to 1 tsp salt
- In a 2 quart saucepan, heat 2 tsp vegetable oil to medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic, & saute for about 5 minutes or until the onion is translucent.
- Stir in the oregano, cumin and flour.
- Stir for about 4-5 minutes until the mixture because a roux, begins to bubble, and turns a light brown, then remove from heat.
- In a separate bowl, mix chile powder & water until it is blended smoothly.
- Combine the chile mixture and flour/onion paste, stirring with a whisk to prevent any lumps.
- Return the pan to medium heat & bring the sauce to a boiling point.
- Stir constantly until bubbles form.
- Once the sauce shows signs of boiling, reduce heat to a low simmer & cover for 2-3 minutes.
- Be sure to stir thoroughly to catch any lumps that might begin to form.
- Let the sauce cool, smooth & thicken.
- Once cool, add salt to your liking.
Now you have the an authentic New Mexico sauce for making red chile enchiladas, chile con carne, posole, chile beans, or whatever you feel needs a red chile kick.