We’ve been growing some of the hottest red chile in New Mexico for a long time now. People always ask us how to make authentic red chile sauce with our dried red chiles. So we decided that it is now time to share our family recipe for red chile sauce. Enjoy!
Makes about 8cups
- Red Chile Enchiladas
- Chile Con Carne
- Chile Beans
- Red Chile Pods
- 1 bay leaf
- Whole Crushed Oregano
- Granulated garlic
- Salt or granulated chicken bouillon
- Rinse and remove the stems and seeds from approximately 25 pods.
- In a pot, add enough water to fully cover pods.
- Add 1 bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil and let simmer for 20 minutes, then let cool slightly.
- Remove bay leaf, and with a blender puree pods and the water.
- Use a colander to separate the pulp from the skin, do this several cups at a time.
To the Pureed Sauce add:
- .5 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp whole oregano (crushed)
- 2 tsp granulated garlic
- 2 tsp salt or granulated chicken bouillon
*To make a roux:
- Add 1 tsp of oil and 1 tsp flour
- Let simmer for about 2 minutes.
Add to chile sauce to thicken and bring to a boil.